fuel card faqs
we are here to help
Here at The Fuelcard People we believe in building a long term relationship with our customers, so we want to make sure that they fully understand what a fuel card can do for their business. Below are some answers to questions that we get asked the most.
If you’ve got a question that isn’t covered here, please contact our friendly team here or by calling them on 0844 870 6942, and they will be happy to help.
Do all fuel card companies charge a £2 network fee every time you use their card?The Fuelcard People answer:
The answer to this question is NO! Unlike some other fuel card companies we do not charge you to use your account, only for the fuel that you purchase. If you are currently paying a “Network Fee” or Transaction charge every time you fill up with fuel using a fuel card, please talk to us, we would like you to save on your fuel bills, not pay more than you should.
What is the difference between fixed/commercial rate and pump price fuel card accounts?The Fuelcard People answer:
Fixed/commercial rate fuelcards provide the customer with a fixed nationwide price for their fuel. A nationwide diesel price is set weekly, based on the ‘bulk’ market prices, often referred to as the Platts price. This fixed ‘bulk’ price, sometimes called a ‘bunker’ price is usually lower than the diesel & petrol* pump price and can offer significant savings on fuel costs for commercial fleets.Examples of fixed/commercial rate fuel cards are BP Plus, euroShell, Esso Commercial Card, Texaco Fastfuel card, Diesel Direct (Keyfuels) and UK Fuels.*fixed rate petrol only available with Texaco & Total fuelcard accounts.Pump price cards do what they say on the tin, the price charge relates to the price advertised at the individual pumps. Cost savings come through other service benefits, such as greater network coverage and reduction in administration costs. Examples of pump related price cards are: BP, Shell & Esso.
How do I choose the right fuel card supplier?The Fuelcard People answer:
There are many fuel card suppliers working in the UK today. To identify which company would best be able to help you, we would strongly encourage you to follow our Six Golden Rules to find the best supplier and the best product to meet your individual needs:
- Demand savings of 2p to 3p per litre on national average pump prices. Avoid any fuel card which does not offer discounts.
- Demand a choice of five or more cards. Avoid those suppliers, offering just one or two cards, who can not give truly impartial advice on the best card to meet your specific needs.
- Demand a dedicated, named account manager who always takes your call. Avoid any supplier who wants you to queue for a random call centre operator who knows nothing about your business.
- Demand regular reports, with customised alarms for fast notification of abnormal card use. Avoid any supplier who does not offer 24/7 online access to your account details.
- Demand good security, every individual card to be tied to a specific driver or vehicle, making it useless to anyone else if lost or stolen. Avoid any supplier whose cards are worth stealing.
- Demand access to a large, nationwide branded networks, such as BP, Esso, Shell, Texaco. Avoid any supplier who says that being able to refuel at any garage is more important than discounts.
What is the EU Sixth VAT Directive?The Fuelcard People answer:
The EU Sixth VAT Directive requires that all EU member countries impose a levy on VAT in the same way across Europe. This is due to be implemented in the very near future. The EU Sixth VAT Directive will stop UK companies being able to reclaim VAT on invoices that are not in the registered company name.UK companies currently reclaim VAT on many items – including fuel, which is usually invoiced to employees in the form of a till receipt, not in the registered name of the company reclaiming the VAT. Once this EU Directive is introduced in the UK this will no longer be allowed, and every litre of fuel will cost an additional 20% (or what ever the prevailing VAT rate is at the time).Therefore it is very good advice for businesses with fleets of vehicles, both in house or so called ‘grey’ fleets, to take a good look at their fuel management procedures and implement a VAT compliant solution, such as a fuel card account from The Fuelcard People.
How can my company comply with the new EU Sixth VAT Directive?The Fuelcard People answer:
All of your business fuel purchases will need to be made using a purchasing device such as a company credit card or a company fuel card. There is an obvious security risk by using a company credit card as there are no purchase restrictions or easily transparent transaction details.For example, the purchase of diesel fuel and a packet of cigarettes will show up as a single purchase on a credit card statement, whereas with a fuel card from The Fuelcard People the driver will NOT be able to purchase sundry items from the service station.Purchases made on a fuel card are invoiced on a single, fully itemised, VAT-approved invoice in the company name, fully compliant with the EU Sixth VAT Directive.
Is using a fuel card more secure than other forms of payment?The Fuelcard People answer:
Yes, as unlike credit cards and cash, fuel cards can only be used to purchase fuel products, they cannot be used to purchase sundries from the retail store at the service station.BP, Esso, Texaco, Diesel Direct (Keyfuels), and Shell, UK Fuels fuel cards are all PIN protected. You are also able to ensure your drivers are using your fuel cards properly by logging into our online account management system, eServices.You can cancel lost or stolen cards easily and effectively online 24 hours, 7 days a week. We also provide an additional insurance product called Card Protect.
Can I insure my fuel card account against misuse?The Fuelcard People answer:
Through regular contact with our customers and following a review of questionnaires, it became clear that one of the major concerns of our customers was the possibility of card fraud and the significant effect it could have on their business.In response to this we have introduced a service called Card Protect. This service is designed to give you peace of mind when it comes to the security of your fuel cards.
- When the card has been lost or stolen, contact us with the relevant details of the card.
- During office hours (Monday to Thursday 9:00 – 17:00, Friday 9:00 – 16:00) you should report its loss by phoning 01282 838800 or faxing 01282 831023. You may also use our free internet service, eServices, 24/7, however, you must apply for a user password and logon number in advance, which can be activated by registering online here.
- All transactions from this point will no longer be your liability.
- You or your employees void this service if there is evidence of internal fraud or collusion.
- The cost of the service is a minimal monthly charge, please ask for details.
- The service covers you for losses of up to 5,000 litres on your account.
Your cards will automatically be included in this service unless you specify otherwise. This option is in addition to our standard Terms and Conditions which are available for download from our website.
What is online account management?The Fuelcard People answer:
Online account management will allow you and your approved members of staff to access your fuel card account, 24 hours, 7 days a week.Services include, ordering and cancelling fuel cards, printing copy invoices and statements, viewing on screen or downloading (in Excel or CSV format) detailed management reports that can help you better control your fuel costs.Here at The Fuelcard People we call this facility, eServices.
What is eBilling?The Fuelcard People answer:
eBilling enables you to receive your fuel card account invoices direct to your email account. No more delays in receiving invoices due to being caught up in the post.These are supplied in a PDF format. Adobe Reader® is required to view PDFs, which is available free of charge.
I want to see details of my drivers’ fuel purchases every day – am I able to do this?The Fuelcard People answer:
We can send you a detailed invoice every week that provides you with all the individual fuel card/vehicle fuel purchase details you require.Using our online account management system, eServices, you can also pull off transaction reports at any time, including purchases yet to be invoiced.
Can my invoices and reports be split into cost centres?The Fuelcard People answer:
Yes – we can provide invoices and reports from our eServices online account management system, split into your different cost centres, so that you can easily apportion costs to your various depots and offices.Using eServices, it is very simple to re-allocate a fuel card from one cost centre to another as required.
How do I order additional fuel cards?The Fuelcard People answer:
Order online through your account management system, eServices, or email/fax your dedicated account manager.
How do I cancel lost, stolen or fuel cards no longer required?The Fuelcard People answer:
Simple, online through your account management system, eServices, or email/fax your dedicated account manager. For your own security please cancel lost or stolen cards immediately.
How do I apply for a fuel card account?The Fuelcard People answer:
Just go to the apply for a fuel card section on our website and follow the instructions, or call one of our fuel card consultants on 0844 870 6942 and they can process your application over the phone today! If you’re not sure which card you would like, our comparison tool may help you.
How do I choose the right fuel card account for me and my business?The Fuelcard People answer:
Just go to the fuel card comparison section on our website and follow the instructions, or call one of our fuel card consultants on 0844 870 6942 and they will be pleased to help you find the best combination of service, savings & security for you and your fleet.
What type of products can I purchase on a fuel card?The Fuelcard People answer:
You can use a fuel card to pay for a range of oil-based products, including diesel, petrol, oils and lubes, depending on the purchase category of your card. A different set of products can be selected for each card. Most cards allow the purchase of fuels and lubricants and some also allow you to purchase HGV truck wash, selected tolls and HGV parking.
Are individual fuel cards linked to a driver or to a vehicle?The Fuelcard People answer:
Fuel Cards can be linked to:
- Driver and vehicle
- Driver only
- Vehicle only
- Cards can also be linked to a cost centre using our online account management tool, eServices.
How can fuel cards help me and my business?The Fuelcard People answer:
The advantages of a fuel card account can be grouped into three main areas: service, savings & security:Service
- High quality nationwide networks
- Large motorway networks
- Dedicated account manager
- Free of charge online account management, eServices
- Detailed and flexible reporting by post, email or online
- SMS service station locator service
- Diesel, petrol, lubricants and optional services available
- Sat nav service station location files
- Adblue available from selected service stations
- Competitive prices – fixed national weekly diesel price up to 2-3p per litre off of the national average price
- Savings of up to 10p per litre when using the motorway service areas
- Reduced administration – VAT reclaim
- Controlling costs
- No up front payments or joining fee*
- No cash transactions
- Cards on ‘stop’ immediately via online management system
- Some cards include PIN technology
- Quality fuels
*subject to credit status